The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Wednesday March 3, 2004 at 12:45
davidgrove
Long Time Member
June 2003
Excellent idea. I will try it, as you suggest.

But, I was thinking a little further, and whether I need a bridge or not, I'd like to modify my previous plan. I wonder if it's possible. The projector has a male line voltage power connector built-in to the chassis. Typically, you plug one end of the power cord into the wall receptacle, and the other end into the male connector on the projector. I want to power the projector from the UPS, say 15' away. I'd like to have the wiring hidden (in wall). But, I wouldn't even think of running the projector's power cord through the wall to plug into the power source (in my case, an appliance module plugged into a UPS). I would run 12/2 NMB through the wall to a outlet box beside the UPS. So, I will have a receptacle that is not a source of power, but a *sink* of power. I will locate it in an unusual location (near the ceiling in the equip closet), and I will label it clearly, but, what I'd really like is to have a male power connector (similar to the male connector on the projector itself) in that outlet box. In other words, I want to bring the male power connector on the projector chassis to the immediate vicinity of the UPS. Then I could use a common power cord, say the one that came with the projector, to plug from the UPS (with appliance module) to the projector. The chief advantage would be that no one would ever think that that recptacle is an ordinary power-supplying receptacle. By being a male connector, like on equipment, it would signal that it is a consumer, not a provider, of power. And, no one could ever plug any appliance or lamp into it.

So, the question is, can I buy a male power receptacle? (Do they exist?)

What I have in mind is either a male version of a regular receptacle, or something like this: [Link: mpja.com]
that couold mount in an outlet box. If I can't buy such a thing, what about getting a blank cover plate, and making my own mounting hole, and then using a device like in the link. I'm very comfortable soldering connections.

Regards,

DG

This message was edited by davidgrove on 03/03/04 17:31.

Hosting Services by ipHouse