Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Friday August 27, 2004 at 16:48
Dave Houston
RF Expert
October 2001
I agree with John.

I'm always far more comfortable when I have a protocol description from the manufacturer. Converting between protocols used by various remotes (or other transmitters) is simple but finding a reliable description of a protocol is not.

Lacking specs from a manufacturer, I like to have multiple descriptions from other sources, usually from those who have reverse engineered the protocol. A potential problem with that is that one or more apparently independent sources may actually be derived from a single source.

Lacking the above sources, I'll reverse engineer a protocol myself. I've done this for several RF protocols. But, this can mean buying hardware for which I have no need so I only do that when there is no other choice, when I think there will be a lot of people who might be able to make use of the results, and when the hardware doesn't cost a lot. Since I live in the USA and most of the RF protocols are only useful outside the USA, I often have to rely on manufacturers (or dealers) who see merit in making the protocols available.

Hosting Services by ipHouse