New company launches a remote designed for kids, seniors and technophobes.
Over the past few years, the specialty remote control market has had a number of notable attempts to come up with the perfect “simple” remote – something that would be ideal for kids, seniors, or anyone with a disability. While some companies figure that cutting down the number of buttons and making the remainder gigantic is enough to do the job, others may take a more refined approach.
Entrepreneur Dan Pitkow discovered unexpected interest in the remote he had designed for his father, who suffers from Alzheimer’s Disease, and founded Flipper LLC to market his creation. The “Flipper Remote” has been designed, as we’re told, for use by kids, seniors and technophobes. The remote has giant buttons, large labeling, plus a unique horizontal layout for the volume and channel buttons. A slide-down panel reveals a 10-digit numeric keypad, along with a few other buttons. Of note the Flipper Remote also has a “favorite channel” macro function that causes the channel buttons to only scroll through up to 30 configurable stations.
The press release indicates that Dan has plans for another two products, although no hints as to what they might be.
The original press release is provided below:
Regain Control of your TV Remote with Flipper Remote, Two Device Universal
Flipper LLC announces today the launch of its first product, Flipper Remote, the world’s most user friendly Two Device Universal Remote. Flipper allows the TV viewer to get rid of their TV remote hassles this holiday season and regain control of their viewing experience.
Santa Monica, CA (PRWEB) November 26, 2009 -- Flipper LLC announces today the launch of its first product, Flipper Remote, the world’s most user friendly Two Device Universal Remote. Flipper allows the TV viewer to get rid of their TV remote hassles this holiday season and regain control of their viewing experience.
Featuring a sleek yet simple design, Flipper eliminates many of the needles buttons that over complicate today’s standard remotes. Its the perfect stocking stuffer gift for grandparents and kids.
- One Touch Power: Flipper is preset so that the on/off button turns on and off both the TV and set top box. And it can be customized for other on/off options.
- Easy Set-Up: Code entry, automatic and learning set up methods allows you to customize their remote. Preset to most Motorola set top boxes.
- Sleek Design with Large, Simple Buttons: Sleek design fits comfortably in your hand, or set it on the table or chair arm. Channel and volume buttons work left to right -- click right for more volume or higher channel selection or click left for less volume of lower channel selection.
- Favorite Channel: Flipper has an optional feature that lets you program up to 30 of your favorite channels. When activated, the channel buttons only scroll through your favorites, eliminating the need for guide and menu buttons. In regular mode, channel buttons operate all channels. Great for grandma or grandpa!
- Eliminate Inadvertent Reprogramming: With an optional Locking Set Up feature, you can prevent inadvertent reprogramming of the remote control or TV and set top box. Great for parental controls and v-chip alternatives.
“Today’s remote control companies have lost touch with many consumers, especially seniors,” says Dan Pitkow, Founder and CEO of Flipper. “Many of us are baffled by multifunction remotes, and are just looking for a simple and effective way to watch television in our spare time. Flipper accomplishes that goal.”
Flipper was primarily designed to provide a care free viewing experience for kids, seniors and technophobes. Flipper keeps the main purpose of the remote control in mind – TV viewing. Unlike other remotes, Flipper has larger letters and spells out the full name of each function, so that TV viewers do not need to squint, put on their reading glasses, or otherwise search for the right button. Unlike other adaptive products, Flipper is sleek and stylish, taking the stigma out of practical products.
Pitkow continues, “while I designed the remote to address my father’s limitations with Alzheimer’s Disease, many people tell me they want one for themselves – and these are people in mid-life with no limitations such as low vision, dementia, or other aging related issues.”
Flipper is the first of three planned products from Flipper LLC. It is available on the company’s website at www.flipperRemote.com with a MSRP of $29.95. It is also available from firstSTREET, the leading direct marketer of innovative products for Boomers and Beyond such as Jitterbug and TV Ears, www.ElderDepot.com and www.maxiaids.com.
Two DACs, a delay module and extender kit highlight new offerings.
Features push-to-talk voice control of Amazon Alexa and Apple TV via Siri.