Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Thursday November 16, 2006 at 17:43
OTAHD
October 2005
On November 16, 2006 at 11:09, Roger1818 said...
I am curious on what you did? May father-in-law has a
buch of 8mm film home movies that would be nice to convert
to DVD.

What I did was actually quite simple. It may not seem like the best idea, but it works.

First, find a projection screen. A screen designed for a home theater works well, but is quite pricey. A good quality sheet of paper will be the best alternative. Old screens with the grains in them (or even newer ones of the type) don't work well as the grains get picked up in the recording.

Then, I just projected the image onto the screen. Don't project it too big, as it is to be recorded with a camcorder. Yes, a camcorder, but that's a topic for later. Size isn't important, as you'll zoom the camcorder to pick up the entire image. What you want to achieve is the best focus/brightness. I projected it to about the size of a sheet of computer paper, 8.5 x 11, but I never really measured (I know this is not the exact measure...the aspect ratios are not the same, but it gives a general idea...). Focus the image.

I did this in my basement, where it is dark. However, I reccomend a small amount of light to be present in the room because the contrast might be too high and create washed-out spots without it, even if you play with the camcorder's settings. But too much light will wash dark scenes out, so make sure it is minimal.

Then, I set up a camcorder directly behind the projector. Make sure it is lined up, so you don't get distorted size in your image. I zoomed in until the edges of the projection filled the edges of the TV screen. I reccomend hooking the camcorder up to a TV to monitor results.

Another problem is the camcorder. Think for a minute how a projector works. It shows one frame, closes the shutter, advances the film, and opens the shutter to project the next one. This happens so fast that the human eye cannot see the periods that the shutter is closed, so it appears as a moving image. However, most new digital camcorders will pick up the closing of the shutter and transform it into a pulse of light...you'll see black/image/black/image on the TV. So, to avoid this, you need an old camcorder. An 8mm (tape, not film obviously) or VHS one will work. I used an old big RCA VHS one. Play with the color/zoom/brightness before recording. Also, don't record on the camcorder, because (1) you're recording onto VHS [and you probably don't want that] and (2) you'll be recording the audio from the room. Just feed the video (composite, or s-video if you're lucky enough for your camcorder to have that) into a DVD recorder or PC capture card.

Now, play the film, and record away. Stop recording as you're changing films, obviously.

The biggest reccomendation I'd give is to use a good projector. At first, I tried using a Gaf brand projector (from the 60's) and it's image was faint and not as sharp, both on the screen and in the recording. Then, I got a relative's Bell & Howell Filmosound 8 projector (also from the 60's), and it produced a clear, bright image in both places.

Be careful with projector bulbs...they're likely to burn out if they're old. Don't move the projector until the bulb has been off for at least 20 minutes, and run the fan when changing film and shutting off the projector. Don't touch bulbs with uncovered fingers or skin, as skin oils will lead the bulb to burn out. I burned out a bulb, but was able to find a new one at www.bulbsource.com. However, the bulbs can get quite expensive, usually $50 or more.
LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

Hosting Services by ipHouse