Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 116 made on Tuesday August 26, 2008 at 08:20
Christophe Belgium
Long Time Member
January 2008
Hello,

Like many of you, I started using PEP V2 and I think it's really a great improvement. I agree with the fact that it takes some time to get used to it, but ones you understand the logic, it's easy to work with.

I appreciate a lot the "replace component" button cause I just changed my SONY DVD Recorder for one of Pioneer, and instead of taking hours to change the IR codes, I did it in 5 minutes, just a couple of codes to rename and there it goes. I know it was also possible in PEP V1 with the reassign button in the properties of a device, but if you used the device in different pages, you had to do it everywhere. Now, just 3 clicks and it's done for the hole config.

And now, here comes what I dislike or what improvements I'd like to see :

1. Multiple pages display.
I undestand why it's not possible anymore to have mutiple pages side by side so you can easily compare the layout, but a good thing in the WYSIWYG would be a vertical scrollbar. Not to go through all the pages of the config, but through the pages of an activity. Mostly, when you do a copy/paste of the hole page, it's to have the same layout in the following one BUT still in the same activity ( you won't use the same buttons for a DVR than for a radio ). In fact, it would be good to be able to open all the pages of an activity in the WYSIWYG, and scroll from one to the other.

2. Database.
I know, there's already been a lot of posts about it. I think it would be highly appreciated to have a database on model numbers and not on codesets. You always loose lot of time to go through trial and error to find the right code. I know lot of companies have the same IR code for a hole range of machines ( for example nearly all SONY LCD screens use the same IR codes ), so it could make a "thinner" database. Why not publish a list saying that this machine from this company uses this codeset ??? I don't ask a database like the one of Logitech that, I think, would weight much more than PEP V2, but just a list as I mentionned before.

3. More regular updates of the database.
It has always been said by Philips that there would be an up-to-date database, and a lot of updates for it on their website. These updates came only with the update of PEP V1. Let's hope they will release updates of the Database only, and not wait till an update of the program itself. Future will tell on this point.

Regarding Prontoscript, I don't have any particular remark. I don't have so many scripts running ( +/- 20, and all quite simple ) and they all work fine. For that particular point, I leave the remarks to the the persons that trully know something about it.

Best regards everybody

Christophe

Hosting Services by ipHouse