Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday July 19, 2003 at 23:15
avdude
Founding Member
February 2002
QQQ-

You give me a single - on a thread about my website, designed for the custom installer, months ago, then slam me the next opportunity you have.

Sorry we couldn't make friends, I guess, as I usually really value your input and opinions.

Would you hit a speaker 14" off the floor, and say 6 feet from the listeners ears, with say 50 watts? Ok, sure you would, we all would. Hit the same speakers, 14' off the floor, with the same wattage, from the same source, and the same amp, and you WILL notice a marked difference in sound quality AND volume. Different reflective surfaces, different distances traveled for each sound wave, etc... etc... Takes MUCH more power to move sound 14', than say 14", six feet, or the like. Ever been to a major sporting event, concert or large church? You think they would use 1000 watt (or whatever) QSC, Crown or Rane amplifiers, if those speakers were 3 feet from the listeners heads, instead of 30, or 300....

Moreover, if the spekaer were located at 14" off the ground, EVEN if you had an angled tweeter, in the average size room, this sound might still hit at roughly the listeners mid-torso, not the ears. 14' on the other hand could at least be angled to hit ear-level, even if needing more power or a bigger speaker to get relatively the same sound.

And you know what, regardless of whether he SAYS all he wants is background, he has B&W's everywhere else, so he KNOWS and EXPECTS some level of decent sound.

Funny you mention the basement height thing. I just bought a house w/12' basement ceilings (not 14' but close.) Go figure!

Please come join, I still would value your input on this and many other topics!

avdude
www.integrationpros.com
AVDUDE
"It might work better if it were plugged in and programmed first...just a thought!"

Hosting Services by ipHouse