Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Saturday January 25, 2003 at 19:24
Captain Canuck
Long Time Member
December 2002
Hi Guys,
First time checking out this forum. I bought the 'Five Star Collection' Star Wars DVD trilogy off Ebay for $40 this past summer shortly after discovering them. I may be repeating a lot of what Johnla said but I thought I would give you the benefit of another review.

They are definitely taken from laserdiscs, in fact at the start of each DVD there is a screen with the THX logo and under it is written "THX Laserdisc". That being said they are great, the sound alone makes them worth buying. Beautiful matching packaging and nice factory printed full-color discs.

Picture quality is great, not up there with the new Star Wars releases, but hey these are film movies from the 70's-80's. They are widescreen so they do have the black bars as mentioned. If you have a widescreen TV just use the zoom feature and the bars will be all but gone.

As for the sound I don't have a THX certified amp so I can't comment on the THX working.
I do however have a DTS amp and the DTS logo lights up when the DVD's are playing and it sounds AMAZING. One note on the sound, make sure you go into the 'languages' heading on the main menu and pick your sound system type. That way you will get DTS quality or whatever type you have.

The movies are the 20th anniversary ones with the new footage added. Each DVD has nice interactive menus with scene selections. The trailer on each DVD is the one that was in the theater for the re-release.

Hope this helps some of you fellow Star Wars fans out.
By the way I have bought the SW trilogy on VHS three times already so I don't feel bad about owning this.
When Lucas finally officially releases them I will be the first in line.

Feel free to ask questions,

Brad

Hosting Services by ipHouse