The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Thursday March 6, 2008 at 11:27
Groovit
Long Time Member
February 2008
On March 5, 2008 at 23:38, SAAudio said...
How are you getting the wire into an existing electrical
box?

I actually stole the idea from David (RTI Installer)... He showed me on one of his jobs. Glue an emitter to the back of the dimmer, spray it black (if controlling several in the same box) and splice to the CAT5 outside of the box (draped over the front lip through the gap in the rock). separate emitters and painting the backs allows you to increase the scene potential from 4 to 4x the number of switches. I did one with two 2 gang boxes controlling lights in several rooms open to the family media room including the kitchen. This allowed them to control them individually and to create many more scenes beyond the media functions. One fun thing I did for an older couple is that when they shut it down at night, the lights will dim in a slow sequence following them out of the room but still giving them time to gather their things. That said... I did a couple of times just to do it and now it is off my radar.

What about codes regarding cat5e in electrical box?

No Comment!
What are your experiences with Spacers?

They work well. I have used them several times both in the multiple gang scenario described above and via direct line of sight and reflecting off of the TV wall to the dimmer behind).
Integrated with a few different Lutron systems, but have
always used rs232. Looking to use this with simple lighting
systems in theaters.

I see potential for several applications... one or two legs with good line of sight or dependable reflection (especially if lights dim automatically for DVD watching). If multi-location dimmers are used, a set could be placed in a hidden location behind a rack or in a service area so that you could "blast" them OR route them with IR covers over the window of the individual switches (just like the cable boxes). This second application would allow you to achieve a fairly sophisticated control scenario on the cheap, however, you would quickly bump into the cost of simply using a Graphic eye with 4 or more loads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse