The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 152 made on Thursday March 22, 2007 at 15:56
newbury
Long Time Member
November 2006
On March 21, 2007 at 10:22, imposter said...
Thanks for the reply. I take it that means people usually
don't have access to unencrypted digital cable whenever
they have high speed.

I have the Rogers extended basic cable tier. No premium content digital requiring a set top box. I get about 450 digital streams. I strongly suspect that those streams are ALWAYS on the cable and would be available if you have highspeed on that cable. The highspeed piggy-backs on the cable. I strongly doubt that Rogers specifically filters the cable when you just have highspeed. They do put on a bandpass filter to cut out the lower (analog) channels.

As to accessing those digital streams.....Section 326 of the Criminal Code has a heading: "Theft of Telecomminication Service".....which applies to you since you have stopped your cable tv service.

The actual status of the streams, when you do subscribe for cable services, but not for the premium set-top-box stuff, is unclear. But given that ATSC tuners have been available for some years, and the use of those tuners is *only* possible for reception of non-premium content, I think that Rogers cannot argue that those streams are NOT included in the subscription. It is only the premium content which is protected by the requirement of a further subscription.

I am a lawyer, but I was told many years ago at law school that criminal lawyers have to associate with liars, thieves and scoundrels, and that the clients are worse, so I don't do crim law....

Geoff

Hosting Services by ipHouse