The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1,628 made on Thursday April 24, 2008 at 04:51
Bruce H.Campbell
Long Time Member
January 2007
On April 22, 2008 at 19:37, mr.eous said...
People
who say "ohh, your tuner is too old" and stuff are wrong;
ATSC is a standard and more recent generations of the
core chipset do nothing different except better tune more
noisy (i.e. ghost-ridden) signals. It's not as if every
set-top box, TV, computer tuner, etc. is going to require
a firmware upgrade every 2 years.

Yeah, good points, I'm in no hurry to spend money, if I lose at any of my current bids, It'll give me pause to rethink building another HTPC. My Proview monitor/TV blew on Monday night(no big deal, I watched "Bones" and "House" on the P3 with its' old :Hansol).

What got my goat was when I contacted a CSR in Garden Grove in California, she said the nearest auth repair centre was in Vaughn(that's a 5 hour drive for me). Plus while I suspect that it was a power supply failure, she said an out of warranty repair was a flat rate of 150$ P&L but a power supply or backlight failure is only at best a 50$ fix. I know how to fix computers but no one taught me how to fix TVs/monitors, I know how they work but open up the back and apart from knowing how to discharge a CRT I'm clueless where to start. So I took that 150 and for one hundred more got a Acer X223WBD at Staples, same price as Tigerdirect and save the shipping! Three years P & L same for Backlight. Should have bought an Acer in '06! Staples is the place for me, at least in Welland because monitors are the one thing I have to see and touch close up, no internet or mail order.
Is this going to be the trend with products made in China?
Forced upgrade every two years for things that should last ten?
[the Proview was purchased at Wal-Mart]

My apologies for going off-topic(the above price included taxes)
thanks for letting me rant. Excuse me while I go and update my profile.

Last edited by Bruce H.Campbell on April 26, 2008 03:38.

Hosting Services by ipHouse