The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday July 27, 1999 at 10:36
Robert (RCI Automation)
Historic Forum Post
Tim:

That's great that you were able to get your system working without the extra expense. I mentioned earlier that through trial and error one might be able to find a place (sweet spot) to plug the transmitter (i.e. IR543) that would allow control of exisiting receivers if the distance isn't too great (all devices on the same electrical phase) and line noise is not excessive. Fortunatly the location you found is the same room where you want to use your Pronto.

You might find later that you have improved to an intermittent operation. What I mean is that even though it all works right now, on some days it might take several X-10 tranmissions to get through, or sometimes it may not work at all. This is because there are so many other variables on your power line (appliances plugged in, appliances plugged in and operating, etc.). This also includes any of your neighbors on the same side of your utility transformer because their electrical noise also has an effect on your system.

If you plan to add to your system at a later time, you may also have to experiment with where to plug in the new modules. Unfortunately there isn't a choice of location when it comes to replacing a wall switch.

While I'm glad that you are satisfied with the operation of your system, I just wanted to let other readers know that there are some pitfalls to your solution.

Robert
RCI Automation
rciautomation@csi.com
[Link: ourworld.compuserve.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse