The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 39 made on Tuesday November 11, 2003 at 15:38
RC Geek
Advanced Member
April 2003
Hopefully, I can answer some of the redundant questions and frustrations posted above. First, there is no way to tell Touch Screen Setup or Pronto Edit to use a different COM port. It will automatically scan the two physical ports (COM1 and COM2) for the device. PE and TSS WILL NOT work on the virtual COM ports 3 and 4. Tonto will so if you are hell bent on using COM3 or COM4, use Tonto.

My experience with the Belkin USB to serial adapter was that it just did not work. I have a background in network engineering and can say I tried everything. Only thing I can figure is the drivers on that just don't play nice with the remotes. I did not try it with Tonto so, to the one gentleman who claimed the Belkin worked - are you using Tonto?

The Tripp-lite works great and, is simple to set to COM1 - just like any other serial port in your device manager. (This is available at www.cdw.com - part number is U209-000-R.) You are not limited to some "wizard" that will not let you change serial ports as I have heard of in other devices. Also, the Radio Shack generic USB to serial adapter works great and is probably more convenient to obtain.

Finally, with regard to XP desktops... XP Pro works fine - you can disregard the disclaimers that XP is not supported. However, if you are running XP Home, there IS a problem with TSS and PE. You can download to the remote, but cannot upload from it. The above mentioned USB to serial adapters work fine. Simply disable your existing COM1 port, plug in the USB to serial adapter, assign it to COM1. You'll probably get an error message that the port is already in use - ignore it and force it to COM1 anyway - you'll be fine.

Hope this helps...
Having once decided to achieve a certain task, achieve it at all costs of tedium and distaste. The gain in self-confidence of having accomplished a tiresome labor is immense. -----Arnold Bennett

Hosting Services by ipHouse