The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 60 made on Tuesday July 4, 2006 at 07:31
JimS123
Long Time Member
September 2004
On June 30, 2006 at 07:18, Spiky said...
If reports are accurate, you might just want to
put a Superbit copy in and upconvert it to HD.
The BD disc seems to be from a very poor master,
and then run through Sony's POS encoder that clips
black level.

As i understand it, the Sony encoder isn't clipping video black, it's clipping below black. It's a non-issue as far as picture quality is concerned. It's not optimum, but it's not a fault either...it's just a bad way of setting the levels.

Now, Fifth Element is unfortunately a real issue. They either used a very poor master, or they just plain blew it. The movie only looks marginally better than the Superbit, with a lot more garbage evident.

Of the first weeks releases, Underworld Evolution looks pretty good, Terminator is acceptable and everything else is pretty bad to awful. I actually believe Hitch is worse than the SD DVD.

The second week seems a bit stronger. Ultraviolet is what Fifth Element should have been. It's beautiful in every respect. Just a not so interesting story. I watched Crash last night, and it looked very nice. Some people are having stuttering issues on the Lionsgate titles, but I didn't on that particular one. Lord of War is this evenings movie....so I hope for the best.

If HD DVD hadn't come out and set the bar so high, I doubt anyone would be complaining so vocally about Blu Ray. This is the real world though, and from a picture quality standpoint HD DVD is blowing Blu Ray away. Considering it'shardware is half the price of Blu Ray, Sony and their cronies have really blundered.

I got a tremendous deal on my Samsung, and even with that deal, I was close to returning it. I can't honestly recommend anyone pick one up yet. If you want HD movies today, HD DVD is the clear choice. I still believe Blu Ray will be the ultimate winner of the format war, but it's not ready for public consumption at this point.

Hosting Services by ipHouse