The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday December 20, 2001 at 14:30
Dougofthenorth
Founding Member
November 2001
I have been busy the last while reading these posts here & doing research on various approaches to setting up a HT.
I think that from the get go one should choose what path they want to go in. As I see it: I see a growing divergence between what I will call the DTS Path, but also a third is emerging within what I will call the Dolby Path which includes THX issues.
The DTS path requires speakers of a “directional” nature & builds the total sound field
By using “zones” much like R&L stereo creates the centre, and the old Quad created the field.
The Dolby path creates the sound field by “dispersing” sound in zones which overlap creating a more “airy” diffuse environment, much like modern Q Stereo does, like the old Dynaco 4 Dimensional process, "surround" headphones.
Even within the Dolby Path, there emerges a different path in that Ultra2 deals with sound differently than Select in the type of speaker to use.
For example: DTS uses “a” type speakers & Dolby Ultra 2 uses “b” & Dolby select uses some “a” & some “b” type speakers.
In my case my 2 former rear “b” speakers were moved to the front & are now used for the Yam’s proprietary front effect speakers, I moved them to the front, & replaced the rear 3 with “a” type speakers in the LRC positions. Thus enhancing my DTS path but diminishing my Dolby path.
The choice of your speakers will effect how the other path will sound.
I guess I just realized how careful we must be with our choices & information.
Dougofthenorth (starting to grasp some of this)
PS: When I understand dipolar, bipolar, tripolar, direct, direct radiating & who knows what else this will probably be written better for those of you that are pro’s or more techincal.

This message was edited by Dougofthenorth on 12/20/01 19:40.56.

Hosting Services by ipHouse