The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Thursday December 3, 1998 at 16:16
George Mills
Historic Forum Post
Jan,

Thanks for your reply but I'm sorry, I do understand what you said but still don't understand why macro groups are needed and why they need to differentiated at all.

As stated a "Volume Macro Group" makes no sense to me. A "Power Macro Group" makes no sense to me. Having one page of all power on/off seems silly. The (activity) page your on should of turned on the correct Equipment. If "Macro groups" are like "Activities" it starts to make more sense. It might also make more sense to me if they are like hierarchical menus. But limiting it to 5 buttons Per page defeats its purpose. If the activity is say Half running a DVD and Half running the receiver then, the top half should look like part of The DVD "Device template" and the Bottom half perhaps look like part of the receiver " Device Template". And maybe a few extra macros to turn lights off and screen down. All on the same page.

If the above is possible then any "Template" could be a "Macro group" and there does not seem to be A need for a distinction.

Another way of saying it is, I can't ever see the need for a page of "Just Macros" (except maybe for the purpose of editing them) you always want to mix and match macros with "normal" IR code buttons. I understand a macro could possible be just a single IR code. But again, why limit it to 5 buttons on a page why does the user (not the programmer) have to see them as different in ANY way.

According to Jack I can't do this at present but he suspects I will be able after the software is released.

Here is an example, I'm looking for a YES or NO.

I want a SINGLE SCREEN to do the following:

Common DVD Controls (that look like DVD Controls):

Play, Pause, Stop, Menu etc.

Preamp Controls:

THX (Toggle [separate on/off would be ok too]) (THX Icon would be a bonus)
AC-3 Compression (Toggle [separate on/off would be ok too]) (Night Icon would be a bonus)
Hard Mute Button would be a Macro to Pause the DVD and Turn on the lights.

You can answer NO today, YES tomorrow (YES does not require THX bonus Icon etc.)

Probably the best move for Pronto or Take Controls would be to put the manual up on the net in PDF format.

The 24 bitmaps on the Take Control are the button bitmaps and not the font for labeling from what I understand. Yes, the Take Control has one 4x5 Button Template that can be infinitely configured by choosing what Bitmap you want in each cell and then optionally labeling it. At least that's how I understand it. And any button can be macro and some buttons can jump to other pages. How much simpler and flexible can you get.

P.S. The number of words used to describe something is a good indication of well it's designed (the above paragraph describes most of the Take Control) :-)

Hosting Services by ipHouse