The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday December 2, 1998 at 11:23
Clay W.
Historic Forum Post
Hi,
Here is a thought for *mode management*...

Lacking sufficient source inputs on my Yamaha surround processor, I use the *Line 1* input on a panasonic VCR for Satailte source input. To watch the Satailte, I must select the Panasonic VCR for *source* and then ensure the VCR input is set for *Line 1.* The problem with this method is that after using this same VCR for Terrestrial broadcast timer recording, the VCR tuner remains on the last channel used. Hence after timer recording, it remains set on Channel 5 (or whatever). The only remote code I have for controlling the VCR input selection is to toggle through *Line 1*, Line 2*, and *normal channels* and if I don't know what the VCR is tuned to, I don't know how to toggle through the inputs correctly.

I devised two options for toggling back to the normal *line 1* input for this VCR.

1. Since the VCR remains on the last channel used while timer recording, I could always program the VCR to record 1 minute of a satalite program after recording a terrestrial broadcast (During VCR set-up, I programmed the VCR to know satalite channels are on Line 1). This would automatically ensure the VCR is always set to Line 1 after timer recording.

This could be done through a pronto macro (if the same channel and time are routinly recorded), or likewise program weekly (recurring) timer record periods with the 1 minute Satalite record preprogrammed.

2. I noticed that if the VCR is on a normal channel (2,4,5, etc.), when the VCR input selector is used, it always defaults to Line 1 first (starts the toggle at Line 1). Thus, if you don't know which input is active on the VCR (line 1, line 2, or normal channels), macro commands could be programmed to always change the VCR channel to a normal channel (e.g., channel 5), and then press the VCR *input* command once. This will always ensure the VCR always ends up at Line 1 when needed.

Long explaination, but maybe there is a similar work-around for your TV video source selector. Another option of course, is to feed all of your video sources through a common component (surround processor) and then use a single video input for your TV (which is what I do).

Hope this helps.

Clay W.

Hosting Services by ipHouse