The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday December 1, 1998 at 15:53
Clay W.
Historic Forum Post
Hi,

One of the threads below was concerned with options for controlling system component on/off commands. I have taken a different approach to component status control that I will discuss below. I also wanted to start a new thread to discuss Pronto configuration in general.

One User tip that Daniel provided on the Remote Central Pronto main page was the option to assign a macro to each device rather than a single command. I have used this option for all of my components.

I have setup the following Pronto devices as for my system as follows:

1. "Watch TV" - Using an embedded macro, selecting this device from either the Pronto Home Page or the Device pulldown menu, switches my surround receiver to the correct source (in my case, a JVC VCR), switched to the correct surround sound mode. The device template for "Watch TV" is a numeric keypad to control direct channel inputs for the JVC VCR. Of course, the hard channel buttons also control the JVC VCR and Hard volume controls the surround receiver.

2. "JVC VCR" - Same as watch TV except the first template is for transport controls. Template 2 is a numeric keypad. Template 3 is for VCR programming function. Template 4 is for Index searching.

3. "PanVCR" - Same as "JVC VCR" except it controls a Panasonic VCR.

4. "Satilite" - Same as "Watch TV" except the source is the DBS receiver. First device template has the standard satilite controls (up, down, left, right, of, guide, display, and exit). Other templates are used for the keypad and other functions.

I set up additional "Devices" in a similar fashion for each basic function I want to control (Laser disc, Radio, etc.)

By using the embedded macros, each device button acts like a macro to do all the system switching for that device. Thus, I am free to use the Pronto macro groups to do more than just source switching. My Macro groups have been named and arranged as follows:

1. Power
a. System On - This macro turns on ALL components normally used (two VCRs, Satilite receiver, surround receiver, TV; It does not turn on my Laser disc player as I use it less frequently). Last macro command sends Pronto to the "Watch TV" device templates.
b. System Off - Just the reverse but it leaves Pronto at the Macros screen. This way, when I pick up Pronto for the next session, it is already at the power macro group.

By the way, this concept works very well. I have all system components (except for the TV) located in a closet behind closed doors and, consequently, I can not see the individual components to know which ones are "on" and which ones are "off." Controlling system power in this way (all-on or all-off) prevents the out-of-sync concerns others have noted without resorting to the more expensive system controllers. In case anyone was wondering, I have a infrared remote repeater inside the closet to repeat IR commands received by an IR eye mounted in a wall (like a light switch) near the TV. It's made by Sonance and cost about $150 USD. The closet also required ventillation to remove heat. A Panasonic bathroom fan provided the perfect solution at about $145 USD.)

1. Surfing -
One Macro button for each channel. For example, pressing a button labeled "The SciFi Channel" will switch the surround receiver to the correct source, enter 2,5,4 on the satilite device, and instruct Pronto to remain on the macro page. This way, pressing each different macro channel button (equivalent to about 5 or 6 individual key strokes) will bring up the corresponding channel with Pronto ready to surf to the next channel. 25 channels can be programmed this way per macro group. If you have more than 25 favorite channels, add more surfing macro groups (surfing 1, surfing 2, etc.)

2. Music -
Same as the surfing macro group except the channels are for DBS music channels.

Desired Enhancements:

Others have commented on how Pronto could be improved further so I won't repeat their comments here. Instead, I will add a few of my own:

1. Currently each macro group will display five full width buttons only which creates a limitation for my "surfing" macro group described above. While surfing, if I want to display the DBS program information, I must switch to the satilite device templates to access the "display" DBS function. It would be better if each macro group had an option to have a few (part-width) buttons that would be present on each page of a given macro group. This would allow the user to program these extra buttons for device specific commands.

2. The device list can be modified by using the "move" command on the menu screen. It would be nice if the macros could be moved up or down in their respective groups (or between groups for that matter).

3. Some device template pages have labels that are not assigned to buttons (no black boarder). It would be nice if similar labels could be added to each template to allow clearer markings for functional groups. For example, except for the play button, tape transport buttons are too small for word labels inside the button area. Adding a functional label to a group of buttons could keep the buttons small, but provide better markings for other Pronto users (i.e., spouses, guests, etc.).

Clay W.

Hosting Services by ipHouse