Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday June 2, 2023 at 11:41
Brad Humphrey
February 2004
On June 2, 2023 at 01:54, tomciara said...
Brad recommended this to me, and I could see you wiring the doorbell and not needing the electrician.

[Link: amazon.com]

Yes but we are talking new construction here. So a conventional transformer, put onto an electrical box, in the location for a conventional doorbell chime, is the proper way. (In other words, a standard installation).

This will vary by location and local codes. Around here, the electricians install a 2 gang box at the door chime location. Put a cheap 10/15VA transformer in the box (not good enough for most video doorbells). Run 22/2 bell wire to the doorbell location and drill a small 1/4" hole for the wire.

What I always recommend and do for new construction is = Install a deep 3 gang box at the chime location (most door chimes will easily cover a 3 gang box). Install a 30/40VA transformer. Run 2 Cat6 wire to the doorbell location (23awg Cat6, not that 24awg Cat6 stuff). A Cat6 from the chime location to my rack/central equipment location.
So now I can wire it for just a conventional doorbell/chime setup, if the customer wishes for now. Or any video doorbell on the market. I can do POE Ethernet to a professional door station and have extra pairs to ring the chime in the house, etc..
At the doorbell location I drill a 1" hole thru the wall, install a vapor barrier box on the backside. Install a short piece of 3/4" PVC thru the hole (O.D. is about 1"), sticking out 1/2"-3" (depending whether it's wood, vinyl, brick, etc.). I use a PVC bracket I make on the inside to help secure it. Helps make sure they give me the proper size hole thru their material. And plenty of space in the vapor barrier on the other side for excess wire.

Hosting Services by ipHouse