Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Thursday October 3, 2019 at 20:41
davidcasemore
January 2003
On October 3, 2019 at 17:58, Ernie Gilman said...
Assuming this is a finished garage... I'll bet the wires that go from place to place in the garage are not behind the drywall, though.

I've never understood million dollar homes where the garage was planned and built and, obviously, a garage door was ordered, and, obviously, an opener was part of the plan and, obviously, wires needed to go from place to place in the garage... and some tyro thinks it's spiffy to wait until the entire garage construction, including painting, is done.... then they come in and staple down 22 gauge zip cord on the surface of the drywall.

Could somebody maybe thought of this while the walls were open?

I pre-wire for this - including for the sensors on each side of the door(s), along with parallel opener contacts running to a location of a Lutron door visor receiver. I'm starting to question this approach because now everything has to be IoT, including the garage door opener. What used to be a simple button to open the door (which I've always used a momentary Decora in place of the cheap button) has now been replaced by a "Smart" switch with Wi-Fi. Or Z-Wave. Or Zig-Bee. Or BlueTooth. None of which easily talk to the other. It's kind of funny to watch the owner of a million dollar + house going the DIY approach: "My Wi-Fi (from Google) doesn't work in the driveway". "My door lock won't talk to my lights!"
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!

Hosting Services by ipHouse