The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Friday January 11, 2019 at 10:22
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
I usually tell people that when all of the devices are connected to one wireless router or access pint, it's like a parent or teacher trying to pay attention to what that number of yelling kids are saying and answering them correctly in a short time but if more access points are used, it spreads the tasks to more parents/teachers. I also explain that the WiFi speed from an ISP isn't guaranteed, so if they want fast, it needs to be hard-wired. I installed three EERO (with the first one acting as the router) at one place where they have some Roku TVs and sticks, Nest cameras, a Nest thermostat and Nest smokes. They all use Apple phones, iPads and computers. I have yet to see a problem with the speed or receive a trouble call at that house. I installed another in a large two story condo and the first speed test with my iPhone 6 showed 350 Mbps, with WiFi. Wired, it shows 480Mbps, even though they're paying for 400 Mbps.

I'm done arguing with people about whether WiFi can handle everything- it can't, unless some really expensive equipment is used.

I got a call from a customer who complained that the WiFi wasn't working well, if at all. I didn't install or provide any of the wireless hardware, or the router. Her husband has since replaced the router, moved the D-Link POS that had been in the master BR to the pool house and replaced it with a TP-Link AP. Then, he bought a Ubiquity AP but couldn't set it up until I told him that he needed to download the software. He said that he thinks a mouse chewed the cable in the bedroom wall and that's why it's not working. EVERY room has ethernet jacks going to a switch, which connects to the router, which is in the office. I did a speed test with the Ubiquity- it connects to Ookla or any other site I go to, but not from a great distance. I asked about the security setting and he wasn't sure if he set it to AES or TKIP. I'm willing to bet that if all of the wireless APs are disconnected, the WiFi will work.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse