The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3,064 made on Sunday January 20, 2013 at 06:27
Bruce H.Campbell
Long Time Member
January 2007
On January 11, 2013 at 07:20, nt300 said...
Can anybody recommend a DVR/PVR for OTA HD? 
Thanks,

I've been re-thinking my hardware needs.........for under 100 bucks (at newegg [dot] ca or com) of getting the next generation HD Homerun for which there has been third party s/w development to co-ordinate with use of MyHD tuner. Then I would have three tuners in each room (for schedule conflicts) or just three in one room, then would put the second MyHD MDP-130 back in its' box as a backup unit, they're not made anymore, the 130 is old but was designed for the mid 2000 era, with its' own hardware MPEG-2 decoder, so was made to save that old computer from going into the junk yard, you could keep it until it died, like my old P3 finally did in 2008.

Now in today's three, quad, six and even eight core CPUs being affordable(recording a transport stream is easy but it takes power,at least a dual core, to play back) you can still "roll your own", customizing to personal taste. If desperate, you can use Windows Media Center but there are other M$ compatible third party utilities, you can read about them at the same time you google/yahoo the HDHR. Some even integrate with Infra Red USB pickups for use with universal remotes. I don't know which myself because with the Play List Manager utility made for the MyHD, I plan on controlling those files with the MyHD remote. If you like Linux, the HDHR can run there also, since most Linux users are on the forums of their favourite distros, solutions can come from the other members of such who have already done so.
Again, info on that can usually be found on the same searches.
Then you have the pride of building it yourself and bragging rights when you have friends over.

Hosting Services by ipHouse