Your Universal Remote Control Center
Philips Pronto Professional Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from


TSU9800 - Which WiFi Chipset?
This thread has 2 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Saturday August 11, 2018 at 07:19
Long Time Member
September 2003

can anyone tell which WiFi chipset is used in the TSU9800?

I did a FW update on my router and now my 9800 doesn't connect anymore.
The router's wifi settings are the same as before.
I'm in contact with their support, but they're pretty clueless to this point.
They asked me about the TSU's wifi chipset, but I couldn't find any information about that.

Post 2 made on Saturday August 11, 2018 at 12:28
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001

I think the chipset is Marvel but that information will be pretty much useless for the Tech.

If you did a FW update on your router, then you likely were previously set to a wifi (A,B or G but not N) or security mode such as WEP or WPA2 that your Pronto used. The firmware update defaulted to something that does not work with the Pronto.

The easiest way to help the technician is to open your configuration in PEP and go to the Network Properties tab of your configuration. This will have the existing security mode, SSID and credentials needed for the Pronto.

The Pronto needs to connect in WiFi 'B' mode with WEP (64 or 128) or WPA. Again, the network settings for your config under PEP should give the tech what he needs to reset things back to hopefully where they were.

Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester
OP | Post 3 made on Saturday August 11, 2018 at 13:00
Long Time Member
September 2003
Hi Lyndel,

thanks for responding! I'm afraid it's not that easy, though.
I'm an IT professional and the support guys from the router's vendor are very capable too (and I don't say that very often about tech support... ;).

The firmware update did not change any settings (at least none that are visible in the router's config UI), but it was a major release, so I'm suspecting it contained updated wifi drivers.

I had set the router to 802.11b+g, WPA2/CCMP and a fixed channel.
This worked like a charm with the old firmware version.
With the most recent (beta) FW, the TSU also supports WPA2 (and I think it's 802.11g, not b).
Immediately after the update, with no settings changed, it stops working.
Going back to the old FW release -> works again.

Ultimately, I want to be able to use the updated firmware, so downgrading is not really what I would prefer.
Also the router's vendor would like to see the issue fixed, I imagine.

Theres no connection attempts in the router's log even with maximum logging enabled.
I suspect something on layer 1, so the issue doesn't even make it to the logs.

The settings in PEP3 don't help either - I've set WPA/WPA2 authentication, the correct fixed channel (which improves connection times a lot, compared to "auto") and of course the correct network key.

I'll let them know that it's probably a Marvell chipset, maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't.


Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse