The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Wednesday January 6, 2010 at 17:04
kadiddle
Long Time Member
December 2009
On January 6, 2010 at 07:45, russ fulks said...
.... If a company like URC put some effort into it, with their superior hardware and customer support, I think they could steal the market away from Harmony. Especially with their rock solid RF.

Agree. I previously owned the Harmony 890 and it constantly had issues. It finally died completely after about 2 years of use. The buttons really suck on the 890 also. I looked into the newer top end Harmony's but when I found out they no longer support macros, that was a deal killer.The Help system on the 890 was better than nothing but my wife still had trouble using it at times. With our new MX-810, I handed it to her the first time with no instructions and she could do anything she wanted. The buttons are great, screen is sharp and colorful, the feel in your hand is excellent.

Like others, I found the prowizard software unintuitive, but in time it all came together and proved powerful enough for anything you might find in a one room situation. The only real gripes I have, and they are minor; first there should be a dedicated DVR hard button. The reality is that the DVR is probably the most used item for many people. A button to access it's menu should be close at hand. It now occupies the lower right soft button position and that's not too bad. Second is the location of the "Skip forward and skip back" buttons. I use these two buttons more than anything else when watching pre-recorded TV. I NEVER watch live tv anymore, in fact it's forbidden in our house. I whipped up a simple fix for this, I mapped those skip commands to the "Ch up\Down" button. Since I never watch live tv, why would I need to scroll through the channels? Besides, you can do the same thing with the up and down nav buttons. Also, the Ch button is perfectly located for skipping. If I hold the remote palm up, my thumb rests there, if I pick up the remote palm down, my index finger finds it easily.

Like you, I think URC is missing a golden opportunity. If they would make the prowizard more user friendly and intuitive, even without page jumps, the MX-810 could dominate it's segment of the retail market. Even the name of the company is perfect for the retail sector.
kadiddle

Hosting Services by ipHouse