The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday November 30, 2009 at 11:52
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Sorry to see you go if you decide to jump ship to another brand. Please note, however, that if discrete codes don't exist, then they simply don't exist. Changing brands won't alter that.

I'll always recommend against using variables to control power states, on URC remotes or any other brand. They will always end up out of sync sooner rather than later, so that means you're going to have to program a "fix everything" screen even if you do track power states. But the problem is that when the variables get out of sync with reality due to someone pressing a button on the component or the original factory remote (and they will), your client will be far more aggravated than if he'd been using that "fix everything" screen in daily use already.

But again, take the course of action that you feel is the right way for you and your clients. I just wanted to make it clear to other readers that switching brands isn't going to solve this problem—it's just going to present it in a different form.

A little bit of on-demand training on URC Control Room would get you up to speed on variables very quickly, but again, variables aren't really the solution to this problem.

Best regards,
Dale

PS: Most CD Players turn ON when you press the Play button. Because of this, The short macro "PLAY, *pause*, STOP" serves as a Power ON discrete, while the short macro "PLAY, *pause*, POWER" serves as a Power OFF discrete.

Last edited by Darnitol on November 30, 2009 14:09.
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse