Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Tuesday November 24, 2009 at 23:18
sacer99
Long Time Member
November 2009
Fonzanoon,

I am trying to control my lights. Different zones, different levels, different scenes, etc.

It is the clear consensus on this forum that my only real option is to purchase the URC-Lutron made dimmers which will communicate directly with the MX-980. The only problem is this system is a little to pricey for my budget and the switches are hard to find because they are dealer/installer exclusive (I think).

Anyway, I have been reading some other post and gotten some other advice from different guys and someone suggested that I could use Mcontrol (via computer and IRUBT controller to control Insteon, Zwave, or X10 lighting dimmers. From what I understand the MX-980 can be programed with codes to send RF signal to the MRF 350 which will inturn send an IR signal to the IRUSB(IRUSBT??) controller attached to the computer which will then trigger the mcontrol softwares macro (which I will have to program) which will then run the scene or command which I am looking for. No I realize this is a lot more complitcated than installing a URC-Lutron dimmer, but apparently it is a lot cheaper as well.

Mcontrol software and IRUSB can be bought for about $160.00 and Zwave or Insteon dimmers can be bought for between $15-$30 a piece. So for about 300-400 I have full control of my lighting via Mx-980. Granted there will probably be some programming challanges, but some guys have reported this setup to work very well. I don’t mind tinkering, and like the fact that I can add to the lighting system at a cost of $15 a dimmer vs. $150 for URC-Lutron.

Some guys have suggested they have whole home control with this setup and it is very solid.

I can see why most of the pro's on this forum would suggest staying away from this as it can be prone to troubleshooting, but given I am attempting to run and MX-980 and willing to learn the programming, I think I am up for the challenge.

Any thoughts on this setup/suggestion.

Cheers

Hosting Services by ipHouse