The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday March 23, 2009 at 09:55
mraneri
Long Time Member
February 2009
Hey all. Thanks already for the help you've given me in getting into my Pronto habit. I'm now trying to figure out the best way to handle power states of each device in my system. I'm not fundamentally concerned about how to program the remote. I'm more concerned about figuring out what I really want the remote to do?

So, when I enter an activity and actually do something, I want to turn on appropriate equipment. However, when I leave an activity, I don't necessarily want to turn the stuff off. Also, my remote will be controlling two zones, so I need to be able to jump back and forth between two activities (or lighting) without turning off devices used in the other activity.

I've become a very capable prontoscript coder, and have quite a complicated two-zone foundation with a globally stored "PersistentState" XML object.. So every page in every activity knows whether "Z1" or "Z2" is "active" and knows which activity is "active" in each zone.

So, options are:
1) Don't ever implicitly turn zones off. Force the user to press the power button and select which (if not all) devices to turn off.
2) Knowing which activities are active, Upon entering a new activity (in a particular zone), assess which devices are required for the two "active" activities and turn off all unnecessary devices.
3) ???

There have got to be other options, but I'm not sure what they are. I'm thinking of the above two, option 2 may be the better/easier to use one, but before I start coding it, I curious what people think about the two presented, and the others I haven't thought about.

As an aside/sort of survey... on your prontos, what happens when you press the "power" button?

Finally, this may be a question for the offices of Gordon and McGee... Two of my devices are controlled by IP (Media Player and Receiver). How would you power off the whole system? Maybe the best way I thought of was setup a "Power off" page in each of those two activities with page scripts to turn off the devices. Then execute those page jumps amongst other "Power off" codes in an Action list. Can I still do that with asynchronous sockets? Any other thoughts?

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts on the above matters!

- Mike

Hosting Services by ipHouse