Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday March 22, 2009 at 17:37
buzz
May 2003
Fortran4 was a fun little language -- except for those crazy three way IF (,,) statements. I never enjoyed them. I drove my instructors crazy because I used mostly used computed GOTO's. All of the other students' programs were the standard mess of IF's and simple GOTO's. My programs were much more streamlined and easier to deal with. Some time later I found out that this technique has been given a name -- "State Machine".

Rather than forcing a favorite (or only) language to conform to the task, I think that the programming language should be picked to match the job at hand.

APL is still my favorite language. I once wrote a graphics package in APL that supported a vector graphics terminal. One could edit and preview the plots on screen, then generate a punched card deck that eventually drove a flatbed plotter. The whole program was a few pages of code. One of the novelties was that there were no loops in the program -- in APL this sort of task is simple fall through code.

There was one branch (goto) in the package. I briefly struggled with that section, but the whole function was so short and straight forward that a branch elimination technique would have obfuscated the whole routine. In that case the only reason not to use a branch was for bragging rights -- "look mom, no goto's".

Hosting Services by ipHouse