The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Wednesday March 18, 2009 at 08:57
jack D
Long Time Member
August 2006
On March 17, 2009 at 21:11, Barry Gordon said...
The router is a router+WAP so it has an internal WAP. The router will have an IP address for its main side (in my case the external connection to the Internet) and one for its LAN side so things on the LAN can see it as the gateway. If this is a linksys device the LAN side is normally 192.168.1.1. The built in WAP may not have an explicit IP as the only thing that talks to it is the Router nd that can then be managed internally.

Think of the internal WAP not being "On the network" but in a symbiotic relationship with the Router. It does not need an IP address as would be the case of a WAP this is connected to the network explicitly.

Barry,

OK. Yes originally the router I'm using as a WAP had an ip of 192.168.1.1. Initially I changed it to something in the range that would be genertated by DHCP in my main router. I've now changed it to something that is out of the DHCP range of the main router. I think having it in the DHCP range might have created some problem. OTOH I only attach one device to this subnet that picks up its ip via DHCP (a laptop) and that is only on occsasion. Not sure if this would have created a problem for the entire pronto subnet. In any case, after the changes I've not had any problems but I haven't played around with it very much.

Thanks for your help.

Hosting Services by ipHouse