The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Tuesday March 17, 2009 at 18:04
jack D
Long Time Member
August 2006
On March 17, 2009 at 17:56, Barry Gordon said...
The following might help but I use no RFX devices so take it with a grain of salt.

1) I never ever have to reboot the house Router. I never ever have to restart a WAP. I occasionally have to reboot a Pronto, but I am pretty sure I have one nasty bug laying around just so that I can't say "bug free"

2) 4 Prontos, three in "Set A", one in "set B", Three WAP's. Two of the WAPS have the same SSID as the Prontos in Set A. One WAP (The Theater) has the same SSID as the Pronto in the theater. This constrains the Theater Pronto to use the the Theater WAP, while all other prontos "share" the other two WAP's

I do not know how this would affect an RFX situation, but if the RFX's are hard wired to the router and all on the same sub net, it should be fine. It nicely isolates the Prontos in my situation.

Barry,
If I understand correctly, if I want to isolate the router/WAP in Room 2, I should set it as a fixed ip, give it a different SSID than the main router in Room 1 and then configure the TSU9600 that I want to force to the WAP so that it looks for the SSID of the WAP. That way the TSU9600 will only connect to the WAP and will have a strong signal rather than sometimes connecting to the main router which is several rooms away.

All my devices, router, and WAP will still be on the same subnet but the router and the router/WAP will broadcast different SSIDs.

Correct?
thanks.

PS do you think that it makes a difference in terms of stability if the router/WAP has a fixed ip? I ask because I'm not entirely sure how to set a fixed ip on it since it is a router acting as a WAP. Do I go to the place in set up where you would normally put in the ip of your ISP and instead put in the ip of my main router?

Hosting Services by ipHouse