The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday February 25, 2009 at 20:48
mraneri
Long Time Member
February 2009
Hey guys. Still just getting my feet wet with prontoscript (but am a programmer of 30 years) and have a couple of questions:

1) I saw a bunch of threads talking about Memory usage. Does anyone know if it's possible to query the pronto from Prontoscript on the amount of free RAM available? I have been developing an application with similar functionality to ProntoSqueeze but for the Roku Soundbridge. It is a fully functional RSP client running on the pronto with searching and browsing capabilities. It also downloads Album Art from the internet. I would like to cache as many album covers as memory would feasibly allow, so as to reduce the server demand and speed up the display of a previously downloaded cover. Most images are 30-50k (taking 60-100k of memory when stored as a string - unicode, right?) I figure with 10MB of RAM, that could be 100 covers. However, for people that don't have that much free, I could store less. For people that have more free, I could theoretically store more. Any way to tell how much RAM is available for globals storage on the fly?

2) How do people detect double taps? I have a list interface for browsing Albums, Artists, Songs, etc., and would like to be able to double click the list to drill down a level? (I already have single clicking working.)

3) Any way to suppress the sound a particular button (with a prontoscript action, of course) makes without disabling it in the whole configuration?

4) What's the best way to detect whether a TCP/IP connection has been dropped (not closed). Occasionally, due to some unusual bugs in the soundbridge, the soundbridge crashes. I don't get a connection closed by host msg. Seems the pronto just sits there. socket.connected still seems to return true even though the connection is no good. Any clues here?

5) What's the best way to tell when the Pronto has gone to sleep? Can I detect it before it sleeps? How do I detect it after it sleeps? Is the only way to setup a scheduleAfter loop and check for a gap in the system time?

Any help with any of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

- Mike

Hosting Services by ipHouse