The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday January 14, 2009 at 00:47
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
I just finished working what I thought was a nasty problem, but it was just a bad memory, mine, as I had this happen before.

I had two Prontos at the same IP address (one is my test unit). I downloaded the same xcf as the Theater Pronto uses causing both the test unit and the theater unit to have the same IP. I forgot about the test unit and went to watch some TV. Periodically the Theater system would lock up with an IP socket error and then recover after about 50 seconds.

The problem was that the Test unit was powered on and docked. It was waking up every 51 seconds or so (the Pronto minute) to check in with the wifi world. That was enough to cause the error. No data was transmitted, it was just waking up and preserving the Wi Fi connection but that was enough. The WAP or the router (probably the Router) detected the conflict and sent an error to the socket.

The Theater now puts out an error message when it gets an unexpected error on the listening socket to check for stupid cockpit error. In normal operation I never get socket errors, the wifi signals are too strong and too clean. I wish my DHCP system would allow for "reserved" addresses or very long lease times, or the Pronto would allow the retrieval of MAC address.

Hosting Services by ipHouse