The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Wednesday November 19, 2008 at 21:57
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
Doesn't anyone see the common thread VISTA VISTA VISTA.

I have been in this business long begore the day the first PC was built. I would not touch Vista with a 10 foot pole.

My most recent experience: I have a program that allows the dynamic installation of plugins (Dll's). It fails under Vista since the program is not run at the admin level (although I can understand why a security obsessed person might think it needs to, after all it does register a dll). It took me almost a day to figure what needed to be done, and I still have not tested it as I obviously do not have a Vista system at my disposal. The solution is to use a windows Vista API built for the purpuse of raising a programs account level. Now if they allow that by any program . . . Well at least it requires some in depth programming knowledge! But that is not even so

If an exe has in its name any of the strings Setup, Update, Patch, Install, Vista will automatically run that program at admin level, or is that just an urban myth? If I had a Vista system I would try it, but my sources are generally pretty good. With back doors like those why bother with all the mock security?

Hosting Services by ipHouse