The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Sunday October 1, 2006 at 03:00
JonW747
September 2006
Tom-

The problem is that if you don't have access to live update your odds of EVER getting an update in the future are about NIL.

That means for instance if someone owns an MX-700/800/850 and a new device comes along that uses toggle codes, they'll never be able to use it.

It means an MX-900 user suffering from the intermittent key failure issue is stuck with it forever.

Live Update certainly has it's faults. It's already been over a month since DirecTv started shipping the HR20-700, and it still hasn't been added to the data base. Big deal you say? Well, I own two of them and the codes for the AV1/AV2 setting are not in the data base and they're not on any board I can find.

Is that still not a big deal? Just learn it?

How do I learn codes which aren't on the remote, such as discrete power on/off, or slow, or skip to tick?

I can't. It has to be hacked. The code set can be detected with the help of a pronto compatible remote and re-created with makehex, which I plan to do, but I would not consider trivial.

Now I don't own a Harmony. I don't like buying dumbed down for the masses devices. But I understand that they let any user contribute to their data base. Something like the alternate code set for the HR20 would appear the instant *someone* out there had figured it out.

So, yeah, you're right. Live-update isn't perfect; but I don't see how never getting updates is the answer.

I was about to return my new MX-850 I purchased from an authorized dealer because noone would provide me with the live update s/w, but eventually URC decided to take care of me. If ldp purchased from a non-authorized dealer and that dealer cannot support him, then he should by all means return it.

I can certainly understand if he doesn't want to re-purchase a URC brand remote after the hassle.

You see, URC has put the cart before the horse. They've changed their policy to encourage purchases from authorized dealers who know how to support the device. I don't have a problem with this. This is not uncommon in the A/V market. But the problem is they are STILL distributing these devices far and wide even after changing their policy. They're foisting their problems with their distributers and dealers on to the end user, and that's just wrong.

Hosting Services by ipHouse