The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Sunday October 1, 2006 at 01:25
Tom Ciaramitaro
Loyal Member
May 2002
OK, your first reply only stated what you did for a living. I still want to know if you've tried to download the s/w by using your serial number. That will get you running just fine.

I have commented and repeated myself that you don't need updates every day, week, or month. I rarely do an update and I sometimes do a handful of URC remotes in a week. That's because manufacturers don't change codes often and the previous year's model is JUST FINE for codes. I am not kidding you.

Sometimes a manufacturer will add a new command, like Sony TVs with video 7 or video 8. That won't show up in an update for awhile, so most guys like me just go to Remote Central and pull it from there, where the topic has already been covered. If you wait for updates to make your remote sing, you are not understanding the process fully.

I am not the only CI that doesn't care about live updating his software. It is just not necessary as often as these many threads would make you think. Also, whatever brand you program, you MIGHT get a bug in the new update, therefore I am content to let the newest version "prove" itself before I do make an update. The remote I do most in URC is the MX850. I've done one update this year.

The live update feature is highly overrated and seriously blown out of proportion in these threads. I mean SERIOUSLY.

This is my procedure when I do a URC remote:
1. Look for the device in the database. Usually takes care of it.
2. Need a command or even a full device? LEARN the commands into the remote and we're there in 5 minutes.
3. Need a discrete command? Go to RC and look for posts where someone has probably already dragged it up.
4. Still not there? Post a request for the command you need.

I believe that Live Update would not save me from steps 2 thru 4 in most of my cases. There's no way an online database is going to be so responsive that EVERY model is there AS SOON AS it is introduced.

Although I will certainly qualify this and say that it is MY OPINION and feel free to disagree, I do however believe it is quite accurate.

PEACE. LOVE. ELECTRONICS.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse