The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Friday January 4, 2008 at 10:21
mslide
Long Time Member
December 2007
I hear you Bubby. I just never liked hidden functions, not just with remotes, but anything. Chances are that even if I put a 2 or 3 second press and hold function in, my wife or her techno-lacking father would figure out a way to accidently find it. My view is that if it is a function that my wife, or the rest of my family, will never need access to, then it doesn't belong on the remote. Part of me wishes I could rip the Devices button off of the MX-810 and just have an Activity or Home button instead.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I were doing a whole house setup, but even for the most complicated single room setup, I cannot see a reason why I'd want to have a function that only I would want access to. I'd rather just use the device's original remote, go downstairs and use my server's mouse and keyboard, etc. It would be something that I'd hardly have to do anyway.

My #1 goal for all of this has always been so that a complete moron could use my remote, without any instruction, and with 0% chance of doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Do CI's put press-and-hold stuff in their customer's remotes? I'm interested in hearing a good reason why they would do this? I'd think it would just complicate things and cause reasons for them to call saying "why did this strange menu just pop up?"

Hosting Services by ipHouse