The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday February 14, 2008 at 08:39
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Of course, we can't comment on the direction of future products or enhancements to existing products.

However, as you noted, you're not a CI and as you know, this product was designed for CI's. Since the average person (and I'm not speaking of skilled do-it-yourselfers like yourself) doesn't have the knowledge or time to program at the level you desire, most of our products are designed with one thing in mind: to give the CI the right set of tools to quickly meet the needs of his customer. It's clear from your post that you already know that the costs of configurability are time and experience. Generally, CI's cannot devote the days, weeks, or even months required to create entirely custom user interfaces.

There are a few exceptions, such as Lee Kropp, who are basically like myself: home theater hobbyists who also happen to work in the industry. Folks like Lee and Bracken devote the time because they love wha they're doing... but it's likely that neither of them could be profitable if they add up the hours invested and include them in the cost of their installs.

So when we make decisions about what features to add to future products, our number one concern is that any added "power" doesn't come at the cost of profitability for the majority of installers who will never tap that power. To be honest, as a hobbyist myself, this was the hardest lesson I had to learn when I came into this industry.

All that being said, the future holds bright things for URC installers. Over the coming year especially, I'm quite excited to see what installers will do with some of the things that are currently just over the horizon.

Best regards,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse