Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Wednesday February 13, 2008 at 10:01
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Whew...

Okay, we've announced it, and we're showing it at EHX. I can talk about it now! (Though I'm sure there are SOME questions I can't answer.)

First and foremost... like all products, this one is designed to fill a need. It's not intended to be all things to all installers. For this product, we wanted to be the first to bring to market a keypad with retrofit installations as the first priority. After all, retrofit business is about 90% of the market, especially in a down economy.

That's why the Volume and Mute button positions come empty. You can pop in volume/mute, seek/shuffle, or blank buttons. That way, if the house is already fitted with wired volume controls, you don't have to work out a whole new solution. Just add a KP-900 next to the volume knob, and install the seek and shuffle buttons in place of the keypad volume controls.

Further, the KP-900 is clearly modelled on the MX-900 architecture. The MX-900 is hands-down the fastest Complete Control remote to program, and one of the most widely adopted. We wanted to make sure that installers could step right into programming the KP-900 with near zero learning curve.

I hope everyone enjoys the product. Of course, we'll all have hopes and ideas for a even-better next step, but trust me, once you use the remote on a wall, pop it out and take it to the couch, and get a feel for it in your hands, I think most URC installers are going to immediately see the opportunity for add-on business for new installs as well as return business from previous installs. I currently have three of them in my home, and the more I get used to the KP-900, the more I want one in every room of the house. (Even my six-year-old twins love the thing!)

Best regards,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse