The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Friday September 8, 2006 at 14:09
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
EDIT: On first post, I had messed up my analysis (simple math error) and thought 179 of these signals fit, when in fact it is 113. I have corrected the text below.

On September 8, 2006 at 01:11, edmund said...
One-for-all remotes like urc-6820, 8820, 10820, and 6690
list 7 codes for Coby dvd players. Even if none work your
model, they're all learning remotes that can learn upto
about 75 commands each.

I was curious myself and haven't done a learning capacity test in a long time, so I just did such a test.

The capacity for storing learned signals varies a lot depending on the IR protocol used by the original remote and on how clean each learn is.

I learned ten of the Coby DVD signals into my 8820 (from my Sony AX4000 after creating a preset.txt file based on the JP1 upgrade).

I used my JP1.2 cable to read the result back to the PC and noticed all ten signals (on my first try) were perfectly clean learns, which use the minimum possible learned memory per signal for the IR protocol used by Coby DVDs.

Based on the memory used by ten signals, I can compute that my 8820 has room for 113 signals of this type if every one of them was learned as perfectly as these.

This IR protocol is quite common and its storage requirements are around average. There are protocols that take more than three times as much storage per signal as these, so there are protocols for which the 8820 doesn't have room for near 75 signals. But I think that 75 is a generally conservative figure (for total number of signals these remotes can store in learned form). You'll find many more protocols for which above 75 fit than you'll find protocols for which below 75 fit.

Most devices have over 20 functions that you'd like your universal remote to support, so even 113 signals isn't enough for six devices. But given several of your devices supported by built-in setup codes the 6820/8820/10820 remotes probably have enough learning capacity.

If you get a JP1.2 cable for your 6820/8820/10820, you can convert learned signals to upgrades and have capacity for every function of ten devices, even if none of them match built-in setup codes. But as described above, capacity probably won't be the reason you may want that cable. It also lets you customize the remote's behavior more than you could otherwise.

Last edited by johnsfine on September 8, 2006 16:54.

Hosting Services by ipHouse