The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday August 27, 2005 at 18:02
ddarche
Mr. RemoteQuest
February 2002
I have been successful in getting the Nevo SL to play music from my PC. Not too bad, so far, using the stock Nevo Media Server and one NevoLink. Had almost 4000 songs cataloged on the Nevo SL.

So, next steps were to see what device I could add to get the music from the PC to the test Home Theater. My approach was to try low-cost solution first.

I know a lot of you are not MS fans and sell the high-end music servers but hang with me for a bit.

I added a low-cost wireless media server to my test theater. It is a D-Link DSM-320. It does see the Nevo Media Server on the PC ok, so I did not have to load another media server software, which came with the D-Link.

It works as advertised and in concert with the Nevo SL, it provides a very decent, low-cost solution.

Maybe my expectations were out of whack but I sense the streaming music quality through the theater is somewhat degraded, despite the source mp3's being ripped at 192. The best way to describe it, is it seems to lack punch.

I have an older HP Media Center which has the same music on it. Some was ripped onto the HP and some ripped at 192 on the PC and transferred to the HP. It sounds very good when played through the HP box. When streamed, a bit flat, despite the fact that both devices have the same, higher-end audio outputs; both with coaxial and with optical.

To those of you familar with Media Servers; is ethernet or wireless streaming going to be generally deliver 2nd class audio quality? Or, does digital=digital and should not see any quality degradation? I suspect the media server software on the PC, may have an impact in order to reasonably stream the music?

I suspect the big $ media servers are going to be much better but interested in what you are seeing.

Thx Dave
Dave D'Arche
http://RemoteQuest.com
Fine Home Theater Remote Controls & Solutions - Programming services for most remotes

Hosting Services by ipHouse