Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Thursday February 2, 2006 at 00:18
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
Peter,

The Action Page to which Matthew is the IR Code Page containing buttons to which you link Graphical buttons.

Matthew,

The reason for these pages is that the folks who usually program these remotes like to keep a set of graphics that link to buttons in a hidden page. That way, when you switch out equipment (I upgraded Receiver, TV, DVD Changers all over the last few years), I don't have to go searching for all the places in my config where a code "might" be found. I have a single place to go to change out IR codes for different equipment.

Obviously, if you've had the same config for 5 years, you don't switch equipment that often. However, many of our systems grow, and grow, and grow. The used of the hidden IR Code page is invaluable when it comes time to switch out equipment.

This concept also benefits those who build custom configs for a living. They can keep a themed set of GUI devices laying around in different configs, merge em all together, then setup the IR codes. This is a "cookie cutter" approach that works well for many and saves lots of time.

If you want more information about the values of this technique, I encourage you to visit the Pronto Files Section and download Dale Crawford's Easy Theater (or Theatre) CCF. There's a word document there that explains how and why Dale uses this pattern. The reasons are basically the same as I described above, however, once you see the CCF and the complexity, hopefully, you'll grow to like the concept.

Sure, it's more work up front. However, if you switch out equipment on a regular basis, you'll grow to rely heavily on this CCF/PCF design pattern.

Lyndel
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester

Hosting Services by ipHouse