Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday February 24, 2006 at 13:48
mburwen
Founding Member
August 2001
There's always this:

Daniel, what is that? Do you have a link? Looks even smaller than the Fujitsu unit. Is it also touch-screen?

My son-in-law is developing applications for his company based around tablet PCs. I've been in tech businesses long enough to be a bit jaded about "hot" new technologies, but in this case, I am blown away with the possibilities. Pen/touch input, especially coupled with voice recognition, has endless potential. I don't know if these little PCs are fast enough to do comprehensive voice recognition, but I'll bet they are good enough to handle a few dozen voice commands for a remote control application.

I just bought a new brand-name 15" laptop at a chain retail store with most of the components the average person would need for $450 (after mail-in rebates of course). I presume that will be the eventual price of these mini tablet PCs. Add a network IR extender for $100 or so, editor and interpreter software and you'll have a great remote with lots of hard buttons if you want them. And guys like Lyndel will have the resources they need to develop a super SuperNudeList.

Wishful thinking.

Hosting Services by ipHouse