The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday March 2, 2006 at 00:23
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
Even labels on buttons/panels take up memory. The easiest way to see how much a single page will take up is to create a new PCF. Simulate it. While simulator is running, open a command prompt and change to %Software Install Location%\SIMULATOR. There you will find a default.bin file. Record the size of the file after you've done a dir command in directory. Next, add a page with artwork and such to your file. Include all text/jumps/IR code selections, etc... Simulate again. Compare the 2 file sizes again. Subtract the largest from the smallest and you will see exactly how much memory that page and all items it contains uses. You can save tremendous amounts of memory for full-page images or jackets simply by reducing the colors in the image to 256 colors.

The remote supports 1-bit, 4-bit, 8-bit, and 24-bit images which are 2-color, 16 color, 256 color, and 16Million colors, respectively.

If you are using PNG files, images will either be 256 color or 16Million colors. 16 and 2 color PNG files are not allowed.

Therefore, if you need a plain image with 16 colors or less, my personal recommendation is to save as a 16 color BMP file or as a 2 color BMP file. Most image utilities will allow 16 color saves with no problems. However, I, personally have some images that contain text and are Black and White (2-Colors) and I'm having to use Hijaak to reduce the colors to 2 as PaintShop Pro 8 does not support anything less than 16 colors.
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester

Hosting Services by ipHouse