The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Sunday April 22, 2007 at 07:10
les1466
Lurking Member
April 2007
On April 21, 2007 at 15:09, Ernie Bornn-Gilman said...
Its simplicity and ease of use depend upon how well you
understand all of your system's remote control commands,
how they interact when you turn the system on and off
and change inputs, and how well you program the remote.
The £400 price is what it takes to make a remote that
is capable of doing this with incredible flexibility and
features. Unfortunately, "capable" and "simple" are usually
at odds with one another, as are "capable" and "cheap."

Yes, the codes have to be learned, but you don't have
to do it all.

The Pronto NG files section of this site has many many
files that someone has already learned and uploaded to
share. These usually are not just commands, but also
buttons, that is to say artwork, that these people have
either created, borrowed, or just used from the gallery
in the program.

The Pronto NG files can be used in a Marantz, too.

Some components might not be in the Pronto NG section,
but might be in the Original Pronto section. If this
is the case, you will need to download the original Pronto
software and learn how to open the files so you can copy
and paste those learned commands into your Marantz file.

There can be a lot to it, but you will probably make a
lot of progress just by looking for your model numbers,
or similar model numbers, in the Pronto NG Files section,
and taking it from there.

Also, with those cheaper remotes that were so easy to
program, wasn't there always some critical button missing?
I remember the first one I used had no TV Input button;
later ones had no MENU button; something was always incomplete.

And if you had a TV/VCR combo, you could use a VCR code
to make the remote work perfectly, except VCRs don't have
volume commands, so you were out of luck there....

Thanks for the reply.
So I guess the answer to my query is, "NO", there is no simple way of getting codes in from other manufactures remotes unless someone has already made them and put them on as Pronto NG files.

I'm sorry but I just think that is ridiculous after paying stupid amounts of money for a high end remote!!
Dont get me wrong, I aint calling you guy's that seem to like spending time programming these things, I aint. I just thought spending that much would make life simpler, not me having to go and get a masters degree in physics to make it work!

Yes you are right in what you are saying about the cheap remotes, there was always something missing. But thats exactly what I thought the Marantz would do, allow me to fill in the gaps - so to speak.
This is how I thought it would work... And would of been extremely happy if it did so. And to be honest, I think a lot more people would spend that ammount if they did.
I thought I could take it out of the box, connect it up, look up a manufacturers model of component, press a couple of buttons and it works. If there was any discrepancies with the odd button I could then make the Marantz learn it.
I then thought I could make it learn not so familiar, or non cinema, sound or tv components remotes such as - Remote window blinds, remote projection screen, light dimmers etc. That to me would make the £400 price tag worth it.
And yes, it probably can do all that, but not being able to download codes from big name manuafacturers such as Sony, Pioneer, technics or any manufacturers of hifi components is stupid and the ammount of time it takes is ridiculous!
Also, what if I have lost my original remote, how do I get it to learn functions from the actual component?
I'm sorry I dont have time for that. I want to come in after a hard days work, be able to sit down, push a couple of buttons and I'm away. Not spend a couple of months pressing 1000's of buttons and learning a learning romote, trying to work out what 'HEX' is, nevermind programming it into a piece of plastic!
Which takes me onto another thing about the Marantz... Does it really look and feel like £400? I was quite surprised when opening it how cheep it actually feels. The pictures on the website make it look like, "Yes that's cool gadjet to have". On feeling it I thought it felt very cheap. The side up and down arrow buttons blue illumination buttons glow out of the sides like some cheep Chinese product and the screen is not all that...

Anyway, a big thumbs down to me as I dont want to waste more time on a product that I dont feel worthy of time wasting on.

Does anyone know of a remote that will do the things I have mentioned above?
I dont mind if, on screen, it looks the coolest thing ever!! I just want a remote that I can download or program in the codes of any manufacturers remotes and learn the odd function that doesnt work. Also to learn the functions of remote blinds, motorised projector screen, lights and odd 2 button remotes.
Is there one?
Please help.

Can the 'Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote' do this, or have I read it wrong again?

Thanks
Les

Hosting Services by ipHouse