The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Friday July 20, 2007 at 03:04
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 11, 2007 at 09:01, paulee said...
For DVD players
and other devices where there is no discrete on or off
can you advise how I can ensure the device is ON or OFF
for my macros?

First, try all commands with the unit off and see if anything other than the power toggle will turn it on. With DVD players, PLAY usually does. I had one case years ago where only EJECT did!

Then include in your OFF macro PLAY and POWER toggle to ensure the unit is off. You will have to test to see how soon you can issue POWER after PLAY. I've seen a high-priced Yamaha that took eight seconds, and a low-priced Panasonic that didn't show a display for three seconds, but only required a bit more than one second for POWER to be accepted after PLAY.

The system with the Yamaha with EJECT turning it on looked ridiculous on every Power Down because the drawer opened and closed, no matter what source had been used.

As for turning the thing on, include the PLAY command only in the macro that actually selects the unit to watch it. If you turn it on with every ON macro, it's possible the motor might wear more than if you only turn it on when it's to be viewed.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse