The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday February 11, 2008 at 19:17
Capt Donkey
Lurking Member
November 2005
Hello everyone. I've programed a few remotes now--many thanks to all who have contributed to this incredibly helpful site.

My question:

Is there any way to make the Neo's IR burst not have a minimum time of about a second, but instead stop immediately when the button you're pushing is released?

Why I care and background:

Anyone familiar with a DVR knows they're a menu-intensive device. You do a lot of scrolling with the up/down, left/right D-pad buttons.

Because the Neo emits a minimum IR burst lasting one second or so, tapping the D-pad to move the Tivo's cursor is a relatively slow process. Each time you tap, a second-long IR burst is emitted, meaning if you tap again, nothing happens until the burst is finished.

However, when using the original Tivo remote, the IR signal lasts only as long as you hold down the button. So, when you're tapping it, the response is much faster because its emitting the IR codes in an “on/off” fashion, with no minimum burst.

I’ve noticed in NeoHacker that there is a button parameter labeled “duration 0;0.” Based on other posts I’ve read, this is the parameter that controls how long the IR code is emitted when a button is pushed. But it appears to already be set at zero, so I don’t know how to make it be shorter.

Not a big deal, but the Neo feels sluggish due to the idiosyncrasy I'm describing when trying to tap-scroll extensive menus like what’s in a Tivo with the D-pad. You can just hold down the button and not tap to improve performance, but then you often shoot past what you were trying to get to in the menu.

I’ve tried teaching the Neo the Tivo IR’s in different ways, but I can’t seem to make the minimum IR burst it emits be shorter, thereby improving its tap-response speed.

Many thanks for any comments or suggestions!
Happiness is a well-programed universal remote!

Hosting Services by ipHouse