The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday February 7, 2002 at 13:31
derlor
Founding Member
January 2002
I was all ready to get an MX-500 but then stumbled across the review of the Harmony. It looks *very* interesting and I'm having a difficult time deciding between two somewhat different kinds (and methods) of remotes.

Most people seem to highly recommend the MX-500 and I like the fact that there's buttons on it. While the Pronto looks really "cool", I think I need the tactile feel of buttons. Since I got my TiVo, it seems like I'm holding that a lot (to FF through commercials, watch my backlog of shows, etc.).

The Harmony looks interesting because things are grouped into "actions": watch TV/TiVo, play a DVD, listen to a CD, etc... something that my girlfriend can easily figure out.

I don't mind tinkering with things (setup) but I sometimes find myself getting lazy and wanting the easy way out. The idea of going on the Internet to setup a Harmony in some ways seems more appealing... and since I have a wireless laptop I can stick in front of my TV, it seems like it would be easier than others have reported.

Any comments on how you chose one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my setup:
* TiVo [hdr-312?]
* Sony 32" [KV-32S42]
* Kenwood VR-507 A/V receiver
* Apex DVD [600A]
* Standard nalog cable box (Panasonic? Pioneer?)
* Panasonic 4-head VCR (I *think* I remember using it once or twice in 2001)

Hosting Services by ipHouse