Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday December 26, 2005 at 15:22
jjd
Lurking Member
December 2005
didn't you know that the Harmony is
web configurable before hand? it is obvious that
it will need to connect to the internet.

Of course I knew. However, I have many other programs on my computer that connect to the internet without compromising security.

it is not cookies, it needs the right ports open
to be able to ul/dl info from the remote to the
server.

Opening ports and leaving them open is potentially a lot more dangerous than tracking cookies - especially when the program opens upon startup and runs continuously.

There are other ways of doing this that don't compromise security. one (of many possible) would be to simply download the database and run it locally. This is what anutvirus programs do - you have the program on your computer and you periodically download updated virus definitions.
There are may other approaches that would not compromise security

didn't I say that in my previous post :) (OK
I don't work for Harmony) but like I said before,
I think the Harmony monitor is there for people
that use the TV guide, if you use it then you
need to connect to the web site on a regular basis.

Just as people update their virus definitions regularly.

I am rather amazed that many people believe and accept that the remote needs to have insecure software to be usable. The same functions could be provided using a much more secure system.

I suppose many of you are familiar with the problems that arise when a computer gets hacked. Why take the risk of increasing your computer's vulnerability? I you do get hacked, it is unlikely that you will ever know it it was due to this software or to something else.

Hosting Services by ipHouse