The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Thursday December 22, 2005 at 17:41
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
That said, I do agree that the internet setup is kind of stupid. It seems that it would make more sense to have an application that runs locally and only connects to Logitech's database to get updates for your setup when you specify. I think all of this is annoying, but not deceptive, destructive, misrepresentative or insecure.

but you would still need to connect to the internet and he would still need to mess with his firewall.

Also don't forget the original Harmony remote that came out in 2001 was basecaly created to be a TV guide (the 745). So at least at the time it was easy to assume

1) people will need to connect often (at least once a week)
2) people will need to access the internet with mosts DL. (most of the time it is new guides and no changes)

-------------

jjd: trust me I can understand security concerns, by like your Sony example you don't need an internet connection to be threatened. There is no spyware, there is nothing malicious you don't need to get rid of your firewall or antivirus. Like joesuspense said with most sw it is usually recommended to disable the antivirus during the install, it is a matter of resources and a matter that it can mess up registries if it accessing them at the same time. You also don't need to disable your firewall, all you need is to open it up enough so the Harmony remote and application can talk to the website to tell it to DL the application. I am guessing that the help desk gives the standard answer "disable your firewall during the DL because most people know how to do that but don't know enough to properly reconfigure a FW. This PC is passing through three firewalls as I type (modem, router, PC) . As for the monitoring application, i is just that, it makes the connection from remote to website to connect you automatically and to be able to DL. You don't need to run it all the time, but it is there because the original remote and most since then (anyone with a guide feature that is used) will need to get regularly plugged in and connected to dl the guide. If I am not mistaken, you don't need to run the monitor at all, all it does is pay attention if the Harmoney remote gets plugged in and then calls up the site and logs you in. You can go to the website and then click link.

PS for the FW, if I am not mistaken it is an outward call that is made (initiated from the PC, not server) so most places don’t have restrictions on this, that is why he can connect on his PC at work. Akirby, when I bought my first Harmony (I think it was early 2002 but might have been late 2001) my PC at home did not have USB, I was doing the setup at home and then bringing the remote to work for a DL

Hosting Services by ipHouse