The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday December 22, 2005 at 15:01
joesuspense
Lurking Member
December 2005
What exactly is the big security concern? Having to lower your IE security settings doesn't necessarily compromise the security of your computer. Also installing an application that runs in the background doesn't necessarily mean it's spyware. I agree that it is annoying, but it's not that hard to disable the background application and set up security exceptions for specific websites. If you don't trust Logitech's web site security, you shouldn't buy their products. You did, afterall, purchase a remote that is advertised as being "internet powered".

Having to disable your anti-virus when installing is also not unheard of. Most people are aware of the issues that virus scanners can cause when trying access the registry during an installation.

I understand that you don't want to make changes to your system that may compromise it to outside attacks, but it's kind of like locking all your doors and windows in your house, ordering a pizza, then wanting a refund because you have to open the door to have it delivered.

You can't expect a manufacturer to explicitly address every single issue that may be of concern to 100% of the population in some form before you purchase the product. If you think that Logitech somehow misrepresented what you thought you were purchasing, I'm sure you could attempt to take legal action.

That said, I do agree that the internet setup is kind of stupid. It seems that it would make more sense to have an application that runs locally and only connects to Logitech's database to get updates for your setup when you specify. I think all of this is annoying, but not deceptive, destructive, misrepresentative or insecure.

Hosting Services by ipHouse