The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday December 20, 2005 at 21:09
jjd
Lurking Member
December 2005
Be careful with the installation of the Logitech Harmony software. Here is my experience. Has anyone else had this problem?

I recently purchased a 659 remote (although I was told that the following applies to your other models as well) from Newegg.com. When I tried to install it, software was placed in my startup menu as my Webroot spyware protection immediately informed me. Then it contacted the internet but would not accept my browser unless I modified my security settings. I spoke with tech service and they informed me that there was no manual way of connecting to the internet to configure the remote: the only way was to disable by security (he said even my anti-virus had to be suspended but I guess I didn't get that far along the installation to encounter this).
Nowhere in the product description is any of this mentioned. The tech representative said this was in the software agreement and I didn't have to accept the agreement. Well I don't accept it. However, he would not allow me to return it and if I return it to Newegg. I have to pay shipping and a restocking fee.
I certainly don't see the need to have the software running in the background all the time since setting up a remote is a one-time thing. If it needed to be updated this could easily be done from the desktop or by staring the program manually. Keeping teh software runnings wastes cpu time and memory.
We are all aware of all the problems with the SONY software. I suppose (at least I hope) that there is no rootkit in this installation, but I don't think consumers should have to take all this on faith.
I suggest that Harmony users request the following from Logitech
1) That they allow the return with a full refund including shipping both ways to those customers who do not accept the installation agreement.
2) That they clearly inform future buyers of these products that they must compromise their computer's security to use them or modify the procedures to make these security compromises unnecessary. This information should be prominent on the web site, in the product literature in the instructions and on the box.

Hosting Services by ipHouse